Friday, December 19, 2014

Long Hiatus

Hello my fellow bloggers,
Your king returns! My hiatus is over.
I switched my major from nuclear engineering to economics.
I also began getting higher grades. (Who knew less math and physics could lead to easier classes?!)
This term I took WR 323 English Composition. We studied how to write concise prose, wrote persuasive essays including one satire, and had helpful peer review sessions with the class. Our professor taught us that peer review is more about learning by critiquing others than learning from getting your own work critiqued. It goes with the saying, "the strongest way to learn something is to teach it to someone else."

When I think about writing skills, I am reminded of running, in a weird way.
I used to run cross country in high school. My coach told me that I could lose months of physical training if I was inactive for just two weeks.
I think writing is similar in that regard. That's what brought me back to blogging; to stay in shape. I'll admit the first time around I had a poor focus – generating ad revenue. This time around I will focus on writing to improve my skill, inform, and entertain.

I'd like to employ the skills I learned in school to improve my writing. Perhaps even write some satire the Onion and The Daily Show won't have shit on me. But seriously, I don't plan on becoming a preachy social justice warrior, I just want to have a bit of fun. As far as content goes, it will continue to be flexible. A little bit of personal life, and a little bit current events, and my stance in political debates.

I'm just another unfortunate college student paying my way through school, drowning in a sea of debt, majoring in the non-specific field of economics, without a clue where I'm going after I graduate. But one things certain I enjoy writing and want to increase my writing ability. Join me on the way, followers. You won't be disappointed. (And if you are, let me know! I could use the feedback.)

No comments:

Post a Comment